Frustration over as boil water notice lifted

well water
Years of frustration and restrictions have finally come to an end for those served by the Boyle-Ardcarne, Boyle and Hughestown water supplies with the lifting of a Boil Water Notice last week.

Years of frustration and restrictions have finally come to an end for those served by the Boyle-Ardcarne, Boyle and Hughestown water supplies with the lifting of a Boil Water Notice last week.

The notice had been in place since May 2013 when cryptosporidium was detected in the water supply.

On Friday, May 1, Roscommon County Council and Irish Water issued a joint notice confirming that users of the water supply could not resume normal use for drinking, food preparation and brushing teeth.

It was noted that Irish Water and the Local Authority/Health Service Executive Water Liaison Group will continue to meet and will review ongoing process control, monitoring and testing of the drinking water supply.

“Irish Water and Roscommon County Council acknowledge the patience, cooperation and assistance of the general public during the period of the boil water notice and greatly regret any inconvenience caused to householders and the business community,” concluded the official statement.

Speaking to the Leitrim Observer Fine Gael Deputy for Roscommon/South Leitrim, Frank Feighan said that the lifting of the notice was welcome news for local businesses and the wider community.

“This news brings to an end the constant boil water notices affecting businesses and consumers in Boyle since May 2013,” he noted. “6,000 people in the Boyle area will finally be able to use the local water supplies safe in the knowledge that it is clean. The frustration felt by many is now over.”

Independent Deputy for Roscommon/South Leitrim, Michael Fitzmaurice said “I am delighted to welcome the news that drinking water restrictions imposed on (this) supply since 2013 are now fully removed thanks to work on the Boyle Ardcarne Regional Water Supply Scheme and a new treatment plant.

“This boil water notice affected 6,000 houses and now the people who live in the area will have a good quality water supply as is their right,” he added.

“I will now be concentrating on all the other schemes in the county who are affected by boil water notices and in our weekly meetings with Irish Water I will be putting on the pressure to ensure that all other boil water notices in the county are eliminated as soon as possible,” he told our reporter.