Impossible to know when Carrick bypass will restart

No offers to purchase land identified along the Carrick-on-Shannon Bypass preferred corridor have been made and it is “impossible to know” when the project will recommence again a spokesperson for Leitrim County Council told Monday’s monthly meeting.

No offers to purchase land identified along the Carrick-on-Shannon Bypass preferred corridor have been made and it is “impossible to know” when the project will recommence again a spokesperson for Leitrim County Council told Monday’s monthly meeting.

Cllr John Ward had put forward a motion stating that local farmers were in limbo and needed “to know whether this land (along the route corridor) is going to be paid for or given back to them.”

The Director of Service, Infrastructure, John McGuinness, told Cllr Ward that although the Preferred Route had been selected and the land take necessary identified in order to construct the road, “no land has been purchased or offers made for buying land on this scheme.”

“Under present circumstances it is impossible to know when this scheme will recommence again,” he added.

The Director went on to state that planning applications can be facilitated in circumstances “where the future route will not be compromised.”

“The NRA have also advised us that it would be appropriate to facilitate extensions to existing developments of limited scale subject to normal planning considerations.

“The NRA’s position represents a pragmatic approach to the current circumstances and seeks to preserve route corridors where possible while at the same time protecting the investment made up to now and being in a position to proceed quickly to construction should suitable funding become available,” he concluded.