Leitrim Development Company will soon commence filling an additional 20 places on the TUS programme which have been allocated by the Department of Social Protection.
Leitrim Development Company Chairperson, Pat Monahan said that ‘providing real support for those who are unemployed in the community is a key priority for everyone.
Leitrim Development Company recognises that in the current economic climate the voluntary sector has suffered from the effects of reduced funding from both public sources and fund-raising, and at the same time increase in demand for local services and support.
The Tús Initiative, where community and voluntary groups provide one year jobs in the community, will enable both the community and voluntary sector and the unemployed to benefit”.
Tús will provide short-term, quality opportunities for unemployed people to work in community and voluntary bodies providing a broad range of services of benefit to communities.
Participants will be paid the full jobseekers rate plus, an additional €20 per week. Under 25-year-olds will be paid the maximum Jobseekers Allowance plus €20 per week which makes Tús placement very attractive for this group. The employment will be insured for all benefits under the social insurance system.
Participants will work for 19½ hours per week for 12 months in quality employment. To qualify participants must be unemployed for more than 12 months and in receipt of Jobseekers Assistance will be offered the opportunity to consider a placement by the Department of Social Protection.
This will help support unemployed people in remaining job-ready for re-entry to employment as the economic environment improves and the work done will be of great benefit to community groups and voluntary organisations.
All of the work undertaken while participating on Tús will be beneficial to the local community and the types of projects carried out are likely to include:-
1. Energy conservation work in homes and community buildings;
2. Social care of all age groups and people with disabilities;
3. Caretaking, securing, supervising of community buildings and spaces;
4. Renovation of community and sporting facilities, including the regeneration and enhancement of community, recreation and sporting spaces;
5. Work in support of cultural and heritage activities;
6. Community administration and community event management;
7. Coaching for sporting activities; and
8. Repair of equipment for developing countries – Farm tools, bicycles, computers, sewing machines, health equipment etc.
Leitrim Development Company aims to fill the 20 new places with community and voluntary groups in the County by the end of May 2012.
Any Community and Voluntary Groups wishing to register their interest in availing of a TUS placement should contact Karen Guihen, Leitrim Development Company, Church Street, Drumshanbo, 071 9641770 email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org