One unit of Carrick-on-Shannon Fire Brigade, an ambulance and gardai were called to the scene of a fire in Carrick-on-Shannon housing estate on Monday last.
Fire broke out in the property in the Lis Cara Estate, Leitrim Road, at around lunch time on December 8.
The property was empty at the time and local gardai said it had been unoccupied for some time. Nobody was injured in the blaze and Scenes of Crime finished their investigation on site yesterday morning. The cause of the fire is still not known.
Gardai are appealing for anyone who may have noticed anything in the area before the blaze to contact them on (071) 9620021.
Fire safety at Christmas
Christmas is always a time of celebration but statistics show it is also one of the busiest times for our fire services. To help reduce the risk of fire in your home please:
• Have your chimney cleaned.
• Ensure all Christmas decorative lights comply with a safety standard. Check lights for frayed or exposed wires and replace when damaged. Do not leave lights on for prolonged periods and always switch off lights at night and when leaving the area unattended.
• If you want to use candles in your home ensure they are in a secure holder and locate them where they cannot be easily knocked over. Never leave lighted candles unattended.
• If have an open fire ensure your Christmas tree and presents are kept well away from it and use a spark guard at all times. Never hang Christmas cards or decorations directly over a fireplace and do not throw wrapping paper onto the fire.
• Most importantly, check all smoke alarms in your house and replace batteries if necessary.