The heritage of Sligo Gaol, the former county prison has been further protected through project work conducted by Quantity Surveying students at IT Sligo.
The Gaol was built to a polygonal plan with the governor’s house at the centre. The principal surviving buildings include cell blocks, the debtors’ prison, the three-story lunatics’ asylum and the two-storey Governor’s residence. First year students from the college completed survey drawings of the Gaol as their final Computer Aided Design (CAD) project. Despite its key role in the history of the nation through the Famine, Land War and Civil War, many people are unaware of the existence of the distinctive building which opened in 1818. Sligo County Council, which acquired the building after it closed in 1956, recently commenced a conservation plan for the building.
Lecturer at IT Sligo, Rowan Watson, explained that the drawings will be a useful resource for the council and members of the public. He commented: “This was a great practical, hands-on project for the students which will benefit the wider community. The drawings can be used as an historical reference to how buildings were constructed in the 1800s and may be used by the council as part of the conservation works.”