DCSIMG

Dolan manslaughter case adjourned until November

The trial of three young people charged with the manslaughter of Carrick on Shannon native, Andrew Dolan has been adjourned until November.

The case was at the end of a long list of trials at Mullingar Circuit Court, sitting in Tullamore, yesterday, Tuesday - currently number 55 on a list of 58.

Judge Anthony Hunt, who was appointed to the Midlands Circuit earlier this year, has already arranged an extra four week sitting to hear cases in October and it was indicated that a further extra sitting may be required to deal with the unusually long list.

Jessica Hughes (19) of 3 Greenfield Heights, Rathwire, Killucan, Westmeath, Patrick Farrell (20) of Cornamuckla, Broadford, Kildare and Patrick Daly (22) of Mulphedder, Clonard, Meath are all charged with unlawfully killing Andrew.

The 20 year old biomedical science student died on New Year’s Day at Beaumount Hospital. He was assaulted at Pearse St, Mullingar on December 23 last.

Judge Hunt described as “unusual” a request for legal aid to be extended to cover a pathologist’s report to seek further clarity on the cause of Andrew’s death.

He said an affidavit is to be submitted to the court, accompanied by the original pathologist’s report, indicating exactly why an alternative view is required.

A request for an engineer’s report on the site of the alleged assault at Pearse St, Mullingar to be certified under the Legal Aid Scheme will only be granted if current maps and photographs provided by the prosecution are inadequate, said Judge Hunt.

He adjourned the case to the next scheduled sitting of Mullingar Circuit Court on November 13 for mention.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page