It is expected that up on 500 anti-fracking submissions have been made to the Leitrim County Development Plan 2015-2021.
The Council, in reply to questions from the Leitrim Observer, said they received “a significant number of submissions” to prohibit ‘Fracking’ from the County Development Plan before the deadline last Friday, April 11.
John Bailey, an anti-fracking campaigner, said he is aware of at least 300 submissions on fracking which were handed into the council, but he expects “the total could be 500-600” when post and emails are included.
Leitrim councillors voted to ban fracking from the County Development Plan in January; the draft plan had been on public display for feedback.
The Council said “we have not had an opportunity to review these submissions.” Full details of the submissions are not due to be available until June. Meanwhile Roscommon Councillors also voted against fracking this week.
Mr Bailey added that if Leitrim bans fracking from their County Development Plan, a number of other counties will follow suit. In Northern Ireland, MLAs are seeking legal advice on whether the decision by Minister Arlene Foster to grant Tamboran Resources a six month extension to their licence after they failed a commitment to reveal their plans by April, should have been referred to the Executive for consideration.