The HSE say the procurement process for a follow up mammography service is still ongoing despite Deputy John Perry’s announcement of the award this week.
Yesterday, January 19, Fine Gael's Deputy John Perry announced the tender of the follow -up mammography services at Sligo University Hospital had been awarded to Action Cancer.
In his statement he said “I can confirm that a company named Action Cancer, Belfast has been awarded the tender from HSE procurement.”
Perry commented, "A site has been identified by management at Sligo University Hospital for the mobile service and I very much welcome this fast progression for provision of the service. This is something I have fought tooth and nail for since 2011 and that this was a red-line issue for me.”
However Action Cancer were unaware of the news when contacted by the Leitrim Observer on Tuesday afternoon. A spokesperson for the company said they would make no comment and advised the paper to seek clarification from the HSE. The Saolta Group who deal with communications for Sligo University Hospital also directed our queries to HSE Headquarters.
Ann McLoone, speaking on behalf of the HSE, said that the tender had not yet been awarded. She stated, “The procurement process for the tender for the service is still ongoing and as a result we are not in a position to discuss any details yet. However, obviously once this is complete we will confirm all relevant matters.”
The follow-up mammography service at Sligo University Hospital was put out for tender in November last year with a closing date of December 14.
Perry’s party colleague, Deputy Tony McLoughlin told the paper that a meeting took place last week “with a company hoping to provide a follow-up mammography service at Sligo University Hospital.”
He said the procurement process has moved to phase two which “involves inspecting the bid made by the company in order to ensure that it meets with the required standards set out by the National Cancer Control Programme.”