Eight Leitrim sports clubs are to receive €188,000 in funding after Minister of State for Tourism and Sport Michael Ring announced €26 million for local sports projects around the county.
Cloone GAA Club were the biggest single recipient under the scheme announced at the weekend, receiving €49,000, as the county of Leitrim receiving the smallest amount although in terms of allocation per capita of population, Leitrim received €5.67 per person, faring better than neighbours Sligo, Longford, Roscommon and Donegal.
Six of the clubs to receive allocations are GAA Clubs with Carrick Fins Swimming Club receiving €8,000 and Carrick-on-Shannon Rugby Club receiving €20,000 .
The news was welcomed by local politican representatives who described the allocation as a “a major help to local organisations who are working very hard to develop facilities for young and old in their communities and it will also bring employment opportunities as projects get off the ground.”
In making the announcement, Minister Ring said “These allocations will benefit people in every county by giving them more opportunities to get involved in sport, whatever their ability.”
The 2012 round of the Sports Capital programme is the first round of the programme since 2008. New criteria were introduced for this year’s programme with a particular emphasis on clubs in disadvantaged areas.
A total of 2,170 applications were received, the highest number of applications ever received under the Programme. Further allocations of €4 million will be made to national and regional projects in the coming weeks.
Some clubs previously excluded were able to apply this year. For the first time clubs and organisations which do not own their land or do not have a long lease were able to apply for modest grants of up to €25,000 to upgrade facilities.
The allocations announced include funding for:
• Natural grass sports pitches, tracks and courts (including pitch drainage)
• Artificial sports pitches, tracks, courts and multi-use games areas
• Security fencing and ball stop netting
• Hurling walls / handball alleys
• Building or refurbishment of dressing rooms, showers and toilets
• Building or refurbishment of sports halls and gyms
• Non-personal sports equipment
• Shared facilities
• Any other capital projects that are clearly sporting in nature and that will increase participation in sport or improve performance
The full list of Leitrim allocations is as follows:
• Allen Gaels GAA Club €10,000
• Annaduff GAA Club €24,188
• Aughawillan GAA Club €25,000
• Ballinamore Sean O’Heslin’s GAA Club €10,000
• Carrick Fins Swim Club €8,000
• Carrick-on-Shannon RFC €20,000
• Cloone GAA Club €49,000
• Fenagh Handball Club €34,000