“No delay” expected from Ballinamore school appeal

The Leitrim Observer understands that BAM Building Ltd, the successful tender for the construction of Ballinamore new post primary school, is appealing the financial conditions put down by Leitrim County Council as part of the planning granted earlier this year.

The Leitrim Observer understands that BAM Building Ltd, the successful tender for the construction of Ballinamore new post primary school, is appealing the financial conditions put down by Leitrim County Council as part of the planning granted earlier this year.

An appeal was lodged by An Bord Pleanala in March this year with the applicant and the appellant both being BAM Building Ltd. The appeal is set to be decided by September 10 this year.

Speaking with the Leitrim Observer, Cllr Gordon Hughes said that he had already been in contact with the Planning Office of Leitrim County Council on the matter and that he understood the appeal process “would not impact on the construction timetable for the new school.”

Construction of Ballinamore Post Primary School was due to commence in June this year. The start of construction had been delayed earlier due to ‘technical issues’ and it is not expected to be open for the promised start of the 2013 school year. Parents, teachers and pupils of Ballinamore had been promised by the previous Government that the new school would be completed by the 2013 school term.

Planning problems with some of the other schools in the bundle with Ballinamore seem to be the root of the problem. The current appeal by BAM Building Ltd means that there will be no sign or any works on the school site until after September 10 this year.

Ballinamore Town Councillor Gordon Hughes said he would continue to monitor the situation and he will be in ongoing contact with planning officials “to ensure no delay occurs with this project.”