DCSIMG

Naughten to challenge Minister on A&E controversy

Denis Naughten TD

Denis Naughten TD

Roscommon/South Leitrim TD, Denis Naughten has said that he intends to question Health Minister James Reilly on whether projects which were promised for Roscommon County Hospital were long fingered to fund the upgrade of Kilkenny’s A&E department.

Speaking on Tuesday afternoon, Mr Naughten stated; “At the very least the Minister must explain the delay in delivering two key projects at Roscommon County Hospital.

“Firstly on the endoscopy suite. In June 2011 we were told that a temporary endoscopy suite could be in place with four weeks, pending the construction of a permanent facility.

“Yet, 18 months later we are only now at the stage of seeking planning permission and we are told that a temporary endoscopy suite is too expensive.

“Secondly, an upgraded x-ray service which had been promised and which would have encouraged the public to use the facilities at the Urgent Care Centre at Roscommon Hospital eventually became operational last September, one year later than it had promised to be delivered.”

Deputy Naughten concluded by saying; “There is no doubt that if even a small amount of the funds which were made available to Kilkenny and Wexford A&E departments were accessible to Roscommon Hospital, then the level of activity and services available in the Urgent Care Centre would be far greater.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page