Simple to follow glazing instructions.
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without the perfect glazed ham. Here are some top tips to make sure your version is perfect for the table!
- Choose the right sized ham e.g. a 4kg fillet of ham will feed 10 people and allows a little extra for leftovers on Christmas night!
- Choose ham with the Bord Bia Quality Mark so you know where it comes from and that it has been produced to the highest quality standards.
- Leave the skin on the ham when simmering. It can easily be removed after cooking and adds to the flavour. For extra flavour add some vegetables and a bay leaf to the cooking water.
- Adding cider, apple juice or orange peel to the cooking water intensifies the flavours and gives the meat some extra zing!
- Do not throw the cooking water out. It can be used to keep the ham moist when roasting in the oven.
- A ham glaze adds a sweet flavour to the ham by providing a contrast to its natural saltiness. It also adds a nice colour and texture to the finished product.
- Freeze any remaining cooking water in portions as stock for making soups and sauces.
For best results, once cooked, remove the skin of the ham with a sharp knife and gently score the fat into diamonds. For a simple glaze mix 1 tablespoon of mustard with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and spread over the fat before roasting in the oven for 30 minutes. For a honey glaze, add 3 tablespoons of clear honey and the grated rind of an orange to this mixture.
Here are some delicious ideas for how to use your leftovers:
- Slice the ham and serve with wholegrain mustard and herb dressing in a sandwich.
- Chop the ham and add to frittatas or omelettes.
- Combine chopped ham with a tin of tomatoes, garlic and basil and add to pasta.