As the colder, darker weather descends, it’s vital that drivers be extra vigilant as we move into the winter months and motoring solutions specialists, easytrip, is advising motorists to ensure they prepare before setting out on the road.
Easytrip has the following tips for Irish motorists:
• Before the onset of wintry weather, check your lights, your oil and water levels and especially your tyres, including your spare tyre.
• Be safe, be seen: use dipped lights even before darkness has fallen, when following other vehicles and in built-up areas.
• In fog, only drive as fast as conditions allow and switch on your fog lights, but remember to switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other drivers.
• Check your windscreen wiper blades are in good condition, that the reservoir is topped up and the demister is in full working order.
• In fading light and darkness, be aware of pedestrians and pay particular attention to children that may be walking to and from school, especially in areas without street lighting or proper footpaths.
• Pay extra attention to motorcyclists and cyclists – allow for the fact that cyclists may not be wearing high visibility clothing or have adequate lighting.
• Don’t overtake unless you are absolutely certain it is safe to do so. It is much more difficult to judge a safe gap in the dark.
• Finally, always remember to keep the recommended distance between you and the car in front, at least two seconds in dry conditions and four seconds in wet.
“It’s that time of year again and as the nights and mornings get darker, we naturally rely more on our lights for visibility on the road ahead.” says Ciara O’Brien, Head of Operations at easytrip. “We are advising our customers and all motorists to spend just a few minutes each week to check their vehicle, and if any faults are identified to arrange to get them fixed as soon as possible.”
“Accidents inevitably do happen, especially during the winter months, so for added peace of mind, we would advise motorists to download our free 24/7 breakdown assistance SOS App, if they haven’t done so already.
The easytrip SOS App is available for both iOS and android platforms and is free to download from apple iTunes or Google Playstore.