Eat, drink and be merry is the slogan for most Work, family of friend Christmas gatherings, but for those of you who wish to stay a little sensible and keep room for actual dinner on Christmas Day take heed of a few of our healthy eating tips:
1. Don’t go to a party hungry. Eat a wholesome breakfast or lunch so you don’t over compensate at the party table.
2. Watch your portion: treat yourself a nice drink, dessert, chocolate or sweets without guilt, but always watch your portion size.
3. Keep a check on high fat items: Fried food, cream-based soup, cheese-filled casseroles, pies, processed meats, pastries and baked goods can all add up!
4. Alcohol also have calories: Heading straight for the bar will not leave you slimmer, beer, cider and liqueurs have a large calorie count.
5. Drink Water: It will fill you up and keep you hydrated.
6. Beware of buffets: Don’t be tempted to sample every product on offer, and once you have made your selection, don’t linger put some space between you and the table!
7. Pre-meal nibbles: Bread, peanuts and other pre meal nibbles should be kept to a minimum.
8. Don’t over cheese it: Brie, Camembert and Edam are safer than cheddar, Stilton and Red Leicester.
9. Dip it once: Dips and sauces are delightful around Christmas but try not to keep plunging into the delicious, sample and move on.
10. No seconds: The meal was delicious but avoid the temptation of seconds if you want to keep on track.