02 Dec 2021

Aughnasheelin march on to last eight

County star Gary Reynolds gets a bit of treatment during last Sunday's clash in Cloone. Photo by Willie Donnellan
Three Aughnasheelin goals in the final minutes put a gloss on the final score but there was no denying the better team had emerged victorious.

Three Aughnasheelin goals in the final minutes put a gloss on the final score but there was no denying the better team had emerged victorious.

Aughnasheelin 3-14

Leitrim Gaels 1-6

Leitrim Gaels recovered from a very sluggish start that saw Aughnasheelin race into a six point lead with the midfield duo of Sean McWeeney and Keith Boyle dictating matters while Gavin Sammon caused plenty of problems.

Realising that the game was slipping away from them the Leitrim Gaels management took the decision to make an early double substitution and the introduction of Enda Moreton and Michael McManus was significant as Aughnasheelin were suddenly under pressure for the first time.

With Leitrim Gaels improving considerably and some wayward Aughnasheelin shooting, the lead was reduced.

Ricki Wynne showed glimpses of his trickery but for much of the game he was well marshalled while Aidan Flynn did his utmost to get his team back in contention.

Trailing by four points, 0-9 to 0-5, three minutes after the restart the Gaels supporters were on their feet when Enda Moreton was on hand to find the Aughnasheelin goal from close range.

Hopes may have been high that a surprise victory was on the cards but Aughnasheelin stepped up their performance considerably.

Leitrim Gaels managed just a further point during the remaining 27 minutes as Aughnasheelin took control.

Victory was secured with late goals from Gavin Sammon, a Cathal Egan penalty and Joe Earley as Aughnasheelin clinched their place in the quarter final while Leitrim Gaels must now concentrate on ensuring they maintain their intermediate status.

Aughnasheelin: Colm McGirl, Philip Dolan, Michael Domican, Paul Earley, Wayne Gilgunn (0-1), Kevin McWeeney, Joe Earley (1-0), Sean McWeeney, Keith Boyle (0-1), Christopher McNulty (0-1), Conor Flynn (0-1), Keith Sammon (0-1), Cathal Egan (1-4), Damien Gilheaney (0-1), Gavin Sammon (1-3). Subs: Derek Moran (0-1) for Flynn (25 mins), Niall Mulvanerty for Gilheaney (41 mins), Damian Flynn for Moran (49 mins), Fergal Earley for Gilgunn (60 mins).

Leitrim Gaels: Mark Chandler, Paul Guckian, James Keane, Alan Wynne, Aaron McLoughlin, John Casey, Damian Flynn, Liam Moreton, Conor Guckian, Eunan Tracey (0-3), Aidan Flynn (0-2), David Popplewell, Ricki Wynne (0-1), Colm Moreton, Luke Donnellan. Subs: Enda Moreton (1-0) for Popplewell (18 mins), Michael McManus for Donnellan (18 mins), John Farrell for Casey (39 mins), Mick McWeeney for Farrell (55 mins).

Referee: Pat Flanagan.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.