07 Dec 2021

Impressive Aughnasheelin prove far too strong for neighbours Fenagh

Aughnasheelin booked their place in the last four of this year’s GWP Intermedaite Football Championship with a resounding 0-18 to 1-4 win over a disappointing Fenagh side at Pairc Sean Ui hEslin in Ballinamore on Sunday evening.

Aughnasheelin booked their place in the last four of this year’s GWP Intermedaite Football Championship with a resounding 0-18 to 1-4 win over a disappointing Fenagh side at Pairc Sean Ui hEslin in Ballinamore on Sunday evening.

Although they totalled 15 wides, Aughnasheelin were in control throughout this clash of two south Leitrim neighbours with the impressive midfield pairing of Keith Boyle and Sean McWeeney dominating the middle of the park while Gavin Sammon totalled a personal tally of five points from the half-forward line.

Padraig McGloin’s charges were in total comand throughout the opening exchanges and steadliy accumualted a five point lead in the opening 15 minutes. Cathal Egan sent over the first of his total of four points to open the scoring on two minutes, after wing-forward Kevin McWeeney was upended by Fenagh’s Pauric Flynn.

Two scores from Sean McWeeney and one each from Gavin Sammon and Boyle extending a deserved early lead. Fenagh did have their first and only attempt on goal with eight minutes elapsed as Donal Wrynne’s effort sailed wide of Sean Mahon’s post at the scoreboard end of the ground.

Another Kevin McWeeney white flag extended Aughnasheelin’s lead to six on 16 minutes, Egan scored his second point of the game from 23 metres to bring the lead to seven. Aughnasheelin were in total control at this stage and could even afford six wides in the opening 20 minutes.

The black and red eventually posted their first score on 23 minutes through a Shane Doonan point after Wrynne won and sent the ball in the young corner forward’s direction ten metres from goal.

This rallied Ray Tubman’s side and they claimed a second score courtesy of a Wrynne free two minutes from the break, the score standing at 0-7 to 0-2 in Aughnasheelin’s favour. Indeed McGloin’s side were unlucky not go in at the break without seeing a green flag as Keith Sammon almost hit the net after hard work from Egan and Gavin Sammon sent the half-forward through on goal, but his shot slipped wide of Killian McLoughlin’s far post.

Aughnasheelin rushed into a seven point lead before the break courtesy of a well hit point from Gavin Sammon and a third point from the boot of Keith Boyle.

Both teams exchanged scores in the opening minutes of the second period courtesy of Aughnasheelin’s Gavin Sammon and a first point for Fenagh’s Brendan Flynn after he was fouled by Wayne Gilgunn. Fenagh were lucky not concede the first goal of the game on 38 minutes when McLoughlin had to be alert to punch away Gilgunn’s drive at goal.

Five minutes later Kevin McWeeney’s mis-hit shot ended up in the arms of team mate Keith Sammon, but he saw his vicious shot at goal deflected away by the body of a Fenagh defender.

Further Aughnasheelin scores from Sean McWeeney, Gavin Sammon, Egan and Mulvey saw their side stroll into an eleven point lead with ten minutes remaning. Fenagh did eventually reply with their first score in 17 minutes through Flynn’s second white flag of the evening as he sent over a long range free but the were powerless to resist an Aughnasheelin onslaught over the next ten minutes as Boyle sent over this second and third points of the match.

Gavin Sammon and Kevin McWeeney also contributed as the game rolled into stoppage time with Aughnasheelin continuing to coast, now leading by 0-18 to 0-4.

As poor as they were, the black and red did have something to shout about three minutes into injury time however as Paul Earley mis-controlled Niall Butler’s long ball forward. Michael Doonan was on hand to gain possesion and unmarked, he sent the ball past Mahon seconds before the final whistle.


Sean Mahon; Michael Domican, Paddy McManus, Paul Earley; Derek Moran, Barry McWeeney, Joe Early; Keith Boyle (0-3), Sean McWeeney (0-4); Gavin Sammon (0-5), Wayne Gilgunn, Keith Sammon; Kevin McWeeney (0-2), Cathal Egan (0-4), Brendan Mulvey. Sub: Conor Flynn for Egan (57 mins).

Fenagh St. Caillin’s

Killian McLoughlin; Ronan Ellis, Pauric Flynn, Peter Honeyman; Gary Butler, John Leddy, Dara McHugh; Niall Butler, Donal Wrynne (0-1); Diarmuid McHugh, Brendan Flynn (0-2), Martin Doonan; Michael Doonan (1-0), Paul Gill, Shane Doonan (0-1). Subs: Joe Conefry for M, Doonan (HT), Darren McLoughlin & Ciaran Crinnigan for S. Doonan & Butler (51 mins), Richard Heaney for Diarmuid McHugh (57 mins).

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.