09 Dec 2021

Fenagh hang on

Fenagh St. Caillin’s were forced hold on for dear life when withstanding a late rally by Glencar/Manor in Sunday’s nail biting GWP Intermediate Championship game.

Fenagh St. Caillin’s were forced hold on for dear life when withstanding a late rally by Glencar/Manor in Sunday’s nail biting GWP Intermediate Championship game.

The north Leitrim men made a bright start in this encounter and enjoyed a two point lead by the eighth minute but then completely faded out of the game and didn’t manage to register another first half score.

Fenagh got on level terms by the 12th minute and completely outplayed Manor for the next 30 minutes when claiming an assured four point halftime lead.

Glencar/Manor ended a 34 minute scoring drought prior to the start of the final quarter. From here on, Manor put the Fenagh men under tremendous pressure.

Glencar/Manor drew first blood with Ronan Flynn & Niall Brady points but Fenagh stepped up their game several gears and ruled the roost in nearly all the exchanges.

Brendan Flynn opened Fenagh’s account and Niall Butler levelled from 45 metres before Fenagh took the lead for the first time when Donal Wrynn hit a 14th minute point from play.

Brendan Flynn doubled Fenagh’s lead when he hit the target from a free nine minutes later. Before halftime Fenagh’s went four clear after Michael Doonan and Wrynn (free) added a point apiece which saw the interval score line reading Fenagh 0-6 Glencar/Manor 0-2.

Fenagh continued to set the agenda as Donal Wrynn hit two points before Manor ended their drought when Alan Sweeney shot a 42nd minute point from play.

Niall Butler answered with a point but Glencar/Manor reduced their lead with points from Niall Brady and Alan Sweeney.

A Gary Hickey free reduced the gap but Donal Wrynn gave Fenagh some breathing space when he found the range from a free a minute later. But the fat was in the fire in the 60th minute when James Rooney won possession after a Fenagh fumble just inside their 45metre line.

Rooney drove towards goal on a solo run and fired to the Fenagh net from inside the 20 metre line to bring Glencar/Manor to within a point of Fenagh with a number of minutes of injury time to be played.

Glencar/Manor got a chance to force a draw two minutes later when Alan Sweeney worked the ball to Gary Hickey. But Hickey shot narrowly wide across the Fenagh goal.

Fenagh was relieved to emerge as winners when the final whistle sounded and keep open their prospects of reaching the championship quarter-finals after their defeat by Dromahair in their opening Group 1 game a week earlier.

Fenagh St. Caillin’s

T. P. McLoughlin; Ronan Ellis, Pauric Flynn, Peter Honeyman; Gary Butler, Paul Gill, Dara McHugh; Niall Butler, Donal Wrynn; Michael Doonan, Brendan Flynn, Martin Doonan; Ciaran Crinnigan, Shane Dwyer, Shane Doonan. Subs: Diarmuid McHugh for Crinnigan (32 mins); Dara Barden for Dwyer (50 mins); Richard Heaney for M. Doonan (65 mins).


Shane Sweeney; Daniel Maguire, David Poniard, Brendan Byrne; Jack Dallen, Michael Poniard, Killian McGriskin, Kieran Fox, Thomas Coyle; Patrick McEneaney, James Rooney, Killian Kerrigan; Ronan Flynn, Alan Sweeney, Niall Brady. Subs: Gary Hickey & Padraig Corrigan for McEneaney & Kerrigan (HT); Kieran O’Flynn for Flynn (52 mins); Niall McLoughlin for Dallen (57 mins).

Referee: Kieran Moran.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.