Trivia House, Swanlinbar
Fourteen community projects in West Cavan have been allocated funding under the Discretionary Grants Scheme.
One of the projects sees Trivia House in Swanlinbar be converted into a hostel to help boost tourism and visitor figures in the area.
Fianna Fáil County Councillor, John Paul Feeley has welcomed the allocation saying, "Cavan County Council, through our Area Office and the Community Enterprise Section of Cavan County Council work closely with us as Councillors and with local community groups to direct funds to support worthy initiatives around the area. I am very pleased as Fianna Fail Whip to have, working with colleagues increased the total funding available from € 50,000 in 2016 to € 80,000 this year.’
"I look forward to seeing this money spend in the coming weeks and months. It will bring about small but welcome changes in areas, allow another stage of a programme of work to be implemented and in other cases leverage other larger funding schemes. I acknowledge the great efforts of local community volunteers who give of their time to make things happen in the areas. There communities and we as a County Council rely on them for their work. This funding helps a little in making their plans a reality. I also thank John Donohoe and his colleagues in the Community & Enterprise Section of the Council for their ongoing cooperation."
Projects that received funding:
- Kilnavara Residents Association were granted €3,000 to secure polytunnels, install solar lighting and provide a storage shed.
- Swanlinbar Development Assoc iation have been awarded €6,000 match funding to convert Trivia House into a hostel.
- Swanlinbar & Kinawley Social Partnership will get €3,000 to assist in redecorating hall and provide some additional equipment.
- Killinagh Community Development LTD will get €6,000 for works to improve approach to Blacklion Village & at Breifni Court Estate.
- Dowra Resource Centre have been awarded €3,000 for fishing Stands and install bike stand at Courthouse.
- Glangevlin Community Development will use €3,000 towards service point for cyclists, water refill, pump and picnic areas.
- Ballyconnell & District Development have been awarded €3,000 to complete works started under CEP Grant finish park with picnic tables, planters etc
- Cottage Market, Ballyconnell will receive €4,000 to purchase mobile kitchen and display.
- Templeport Development Association have been awarded €10,000 to convert a disused pump house into an unmanned public information centre.
- Belturbet Tidy Towns Zero Waste will benefit from €4,000 to install segregated litter bins around the town.
- Belturbet Heritage Railway will be given €3,000 to purchase DVD Projector Screen to show footage of old railway and install solar light kit.
- Project Belturbet will get €7,000 to purchase mini-digger to assist watering tubs cleaning and maintenance.
- Killeshandra Tidy Towns have got €5,000 match funding for Rath Church restoration project.
- Killeshandra Community Council will use €3,000 grant aid to replace electric storage heaters.