Emergency services fought the blaze but the home was completely gutted.
In the early hours of March 1, 2019, a Dromahair family woke to the sounds of their carbon monoxide alarm. The family, two adults and three children, managed to escape their home before it was consumed by fire.
Now a gofundme page has been established to try and raise funds for the family.
On the page it is noted that Niamh and her six-year-old son along with Gruem and his two children (aged 4 and 7) were in the house at the time. The home is desribed as "an off grid" construction built almost single handed by Greum.
"Niamh and Greum lost everything, except each other and their beloved children and pets," notes the page.
"Lives are irreplaceable and we're all so glad that they got out when they did and bar some bruises and deep cuts, they were unscathed. There is nothing left, no photos, no clothes, no furniture, no jewellery, no tools, no food, no toiletries, no toys, no school bags or lunch boxes or kitchenware or linens, nothing to make a cup of tea in or drink one out of, no mementos of times past or gifts from friends, no family heirlooms...no home.
"Friends and locals have rallied around to provide and donate basic essentials and they have somewhere to stay temporarily but they now find themselves with the daunting task of building a new house and breathing life into it for a new future while grieving the loss of their beautiful home."
People are being asked to make donations to help this family. The page can be accessed here.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.