According to last year’s census the average age of the population of County Leitrim is 38.4, an increase of 0.3 since the 2006 census.
The national average age as a whole increased by half a year to 36.1 years since 2006. Leitrim has a bigger population of elderly than the state average.
The report also showed that the rural population of Leitrim was found to be older than in urban areas by 3.6 years on average. The average age of females in the county exceeded that of males by 0.7 years.
Age dependency is a measure of the extent to which the young and older populations are dependent on the population of working age people. The total age dependency for the State was 49.3% which means that the number of young and old people together were equal to 49.3% of the total number of working age people. In Leitrim the young dependency was 34% and the old dependency was 23.3%, an overall total of 57.3%.
Our biggest age group in the county is 25- 64 year olds with 16,950 people of that age residing here. Our smallest age group is that of young adults 19-24, this most probably has to do with college, emigration and work.
Nursing Homes Ireland have acknowledged the publication of the latest Census 2011 results which they say “results highlight the imperative requirement there is upon the Government to imminently put in place a plan to meet the increased demand for health and social and care services for our ageing population.” NHI said the results, which show the population of people aged 65+ has increased by 14.4% over the past five years, form part of a growing body of evidence that highlights we are living longer and the numbers of older persons in society is growing significantly.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.