The people of Leitrim are being encouraged to get involved in National Heritage Week 2013 which takes place nationwide August 17 - 23.
All Leitrim events are FREE to attend. Some of the events taking place in the county during National Heritage Week 2013 include:
- Guided Tour of Manorhamilton Castle, Sunday 18th, 1-6pm, the castle, which dates back to 1638, detailing the historic events of the period.
- St George’s Heritage & Workhouse Attic Tour August 17- 24 11am-4pm.
- Fenagh Heritage Week, August 17-25 includes a kids heritage camp, talks on the history and culture of Fenagh, Holy wells, association with John McGahern, a farmers market, demonstrations and fun activities throughout the week.
- Heritage Electric Bike Cycle Trail, Sunday 18th 10am-12.30pm 20km to Keadue Village to see Knockranny Court tomb, Lassair’s shrine and Holy well and Kilronan Abbey.
- Photographic Exhibition: Past, Present and Future Pride, August 17-25 11am-4pm, there will be a special walk where participants will be invited to take photographs en route of the local built heritage and fauna around Carrick-on-Shannon.
- Heritage Day Lecture on Wednesday, August 21st 8.30-10pm in Carrick-on-Shannon, the Historical Society will present a lecture in the Bush Hotel.
- History and Biodiversity Walk in Manorhamilton Sunday, August 18th 1-5pm, tour of Hamilton’s Castle and Manorhamilton. More info on www.heritageweek.ie