There have been calls for an increased garda presence in Ballinamore over the weekends after up to 25 youths were involved in an on street battle on Sunday morning.
The Leitrim Observer understands that a fight broke out between two groups on High Street, Ballinamore at around 3am.
At least 25 people were involved in the melee and eye witnesses said the fights moved uptown on the main street, disturbing guests in a nearby B&B and also disturbing local business owners and residents.
Eye witnesses have told the Leitrim Observer that there was blood on the main road from the fighting and it is understood the fracas continued for half an hour.
There were no gardai on duty in the town at the time of the incident and gardai told our reporter that no formal complaint had been made on the night in question. Gardai were sent to the locality on Sunday morning but the incident was over and it appears those involved had dispersed by the time they arrived.
This incident comes less than three weeks after two gardai were injured when 30 men became involved in a melee in the town.
Local gardai had been forced to call for backup from around 10 extra members in order to disperse the combatants on that occasion.
Public order offences in Carrick-on-Shannon
Saturday night/Sunday morning was also busy for Gardai in the county town with a number of arrests recorded for public order offences in Carrick-on-Shannon.
Those charged with offences will be appearing before a sitting of Carrick-on-Shannon District Court in the coming weeks.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.