The National Ambulance Service has issued a statement stressing that the “dynamic deployment of resources” in the region had ensured that South Leitrim had ambulance cover after the Carrick-on-Shannon ambulance was called on for a patient transfer on Saturday, September 19.
Sinn Féin councillor and General Election candidate, Martin Kenny, had highlighted the issue last week claiming that this left the region without ambulance cover.
However the National Ambulance Service (NAS) said the Emergency Ambulance (EA) for the Carrick-on-Shannon area was not deployed to Cavan for a 12 hour shift on the night of September 19, as Cllr Kenny alleged.
“It (NAS) can confirm that on the night in question the emergency ambulance was tasked to transfer a patient to a Dublin Hospital. While the patient was being transferred, the Carrick-on-Shannon area was covered by the dynamic deployment of resources in the region thus ensuring any emergency calls received were covered,” said a spokesperson for the service.
Problems in Roscommon and Longford
This comes as Independent TD for Roscommon/South Leitrim, Michael Fitzmaurice, criticised the service after claims that Longford was left without ambulance cover for a number of hours on Tuesday, September 22 after their ambulance was assigned to two separate call outs in Co Roscommon.
“This is the second time in the space of a month that this has happened and once again and it is a totally unacceptable situation. Despite I and others highlighting this issue constantly, nothing is being done by the Minister or the HSE. In addition I am also aware that both ambulance crews involved in those calls on Tuesday finished their shift a number of hours late meaning that they had to work 14 to 15 hours which is very unfair.
“I am once again calling on Minister Varadkar to make a statement on this issue. In the past 24 hours we have heard about wheels falling off one ambulance in Co Mayo and that there was only one ambulance in the Dublin area one night this week to cover 300,000 people.”