Staff at Elverys Carrick-on-Shannon have joined a nationwide campaign to try and secure the future of employees of the embattled Irish chain.
An online petition entitled SOS Elverys 700 has been launched at www.ipetitions.com/petition/SOSelverys700, already attracting nearly 1,000 signatures. Along with an in-store petition, the campaign aims to raise awareness of the difficult situation now facing over 700 staff employed by the company across 59 stores.
On February 4 last, NAMA petitioned for an examiner to be appointed to Elverys, after a planned €10m sale to Elverys Chief Executive, Patrick Rowland and his management group fell through.
The original plan, backed by NAMA, was to place the business into the control of a receiver who would immediately execute the sale.
However this plan was subsequently abandoned and an application to the courts for an examinership of the company made.
Simon Coyle, of Mazars, was appointed as exminer of Elverys on February 4. He has upt to 100 days to secure an investment plan to save the business.
A number of bids have now been made for the company including one led by Mike Ashely’s UK-based Sports Direct Group. Final bids will be invited for the business following the current due diligence phase and a preferred bidder is expected to be selected within the next two weeks.
Any rescue deal will then have to be approved by the high court.
Carrick-on-Shannon store manager, Tom Lewis, told the Leitrim Observer that the six staff members locally, along with the rest of the huge workforce employed by the company, all remain very concerned about their future employment.
“Of course we are worried. This is an Irish-owned company and we wanted to keep it that way. We had understood that the Managment of Elverys were buying out the company through NAMA and we were happy with that, but that has fallen through,” he told our reporter.
“Our campaign is to highlight this situation and hopefully the examiner will sell the company through the directors, as planned, and this will guarantee our jobs.”
Tom said that customers have been very supportive and a number of signatures had already been secured for the petition.
“They know that this is not just about six jobs here in Carrick, it’s also about hundreds of other jobs around the country. Nobody wants to see any job losses,” he said.
Protests are now being planned at 1.30pm at the Mayo v Cork game on March 16 in McHale Park and on March 17 at 1pm outside Croke Park.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.