JUST six months ago Co Leitrim was being roundly criticised for its high number of ‘ghost estates’, however, despite this, the County has been ignored in the first round of funding announced to deal with unfinished estates.
Last week the Minister for Housing and Planning, Willie Penrose, announced the creation of a national committee to deal with the problem of unfinished estates after the release of the latest Government report on the problem.
Following this he announced the first allocation of €1.5m of a total €5m fund aimed at making safe problematic housing estates. According to the Government this funding will eventually be recouped from the developers and site owners.
Speaking at Monday’s meeting, County Manger, Jackie Maguire, said she did not know why the county had not been included for funding but stressed that there was still €3.5m to be allocated.
She said that the funding was not intended to finish outstanding estates, but rather to address serious safety issues.
The report into the problem showed that Ireland has 2,846 unfinished housing developments. Almost one third of developments were substantial complete and occupied however some 1,655 unfinished developments around the country still had substantial construction works outstanding and a portion of these had serious completion issues where residents were significantly affected.
Priority is being given to those unfinished estates which are partially occupied.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.