Josephine Feehily, Chairperson of the Revenue Commissioners has announced details of the administration of the Local Property Tax (LPT).
Speaking at a press briefing this morning (Thursday, March 7), Ms Feehily stressed the following important messages:
• This is a self-assessed tax. You value your own property and if you follow Revenue guidance honestly, your self-assessment will be accepted.
• Useful sources for valuation guidance: revenue.ie, propertypriceregister.ie, property pages of local newspaper, local estate agent, property websites.
• The quickest and most straightforward way to complete and submit the property tax return is online on revenue.ie.
• If you complete the paper return, the deadline for sending it to Revenue is 7 May. If you’re filing online, the deadline is 28 May.
• There are easy ways to pay like deduction at source and Single Debit Authority
• If you’ve received a property tax return but are not the owner of the property, you need to contact Revenue.
• Don’t ignore the return. If you do, Revenue will pursue collection of the Estimate.
She also highlighted a number of Key dates including:
• 1 May, 2013 - deadline for Property Valuation and Property Ownership paperwork.
• 7 May, 2013 - Due date for filing paper LPT returns
• 28 May, 2013 - Due date for filing LPT returns electronically.
• 1 July, 2013 onwards - Commencement of deduction at source from Salary/Occupational Pension or certain payments from the Department of Social Protection and Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine.
• 1 July, 2013 onwards - Commencement of cash payments through certain payment service providers.
• 15 July, 2013 onwards - Commencement of direct debits.
• 21 July, 2013 - Single Debit Authority Payment deducted.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.