Fine Gael Deputy for Sligo/North Leitrim, John Perry continues to remain confident of his addition to party ticket following the latest Parliamentary Party meeting on Wednesday, November 11.
Deputy Martin Heydon presented his report to the meeting on Wednesday night and Deputy Perry reiterated his view that a three candidate strategy is the better option to ensure that Fine Gael win two seats in the next election.
Deputy Perry finished fourth out of four candidates vying for selection at the Fine Gael convention for the newly formed Sligo/Leitrim constituency last month.
For the first time this new constituency includes not only all of counties Sligo and Leitrim, but also parts of west Cavan and south Donegal.
At the selection convention in October, Gerry Reynolds garnered the most votes followed by fellow Co Leitrim candidate, Senator Michael Comiskey. Next highest was sitting TD, Tony McLoughlin with fellow sitting TD, Perry in last place.
However as the directive from Party Headquarters was for a single Sligo and a single Leitrim candidate, Senator Comiskey was bypassed and Leitrim’s Gerry Reynolds and Sligo’s Deputy McLoughlin were nominated to the party ticket.
Since then Deputy Perry has campaigned that he should be added to the party ticket.
At Wednesday’s Parliamentary meeting, Deputy Perry appealed to the Oireachtas members for loyalty observing that he had “been with many colleagues through difficult times and then better times.
“But whether good times of bad times, we travelled the journey together, we had our differences at times, but when the chips were down, it was loyalty to the party and to each other that prevailed,” he told the party.
Deputy Perry concluded with an appeal to Oireachtas members to support his view that a three party candidate strategy “is the best guarantee for Fine Gael to win two seats”, and that he should be added to the party ticket.
In a comment after the meeting Deputy Perry continued to express “every confidence that his name will be added to the ticket”. He also added that he had requested a meeting with the Taoiseach to discuss the issues raised and said that reports he met with the Taoiseach earlier on Wednesday 11 November “are not true”.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.