• Leitrim’s population increased by 9.8% between 2006 and 2011. In 2011 there were 31,798 people living in Co Leitrim, up from 28,950 in 2006.
• The population in the Roscommon/South Leitrim Constituency increased by 8.9% between 2006 and 2011
• The population in the Sligo/North Leitrim Constituency went up by
• Since 1996, the population of Leitrim has grown by 27 per cent. Prior to that the county had experienced a century and a half of continuous population decline.
• Co Leitrim now has the fourth oldest average population - with an average age of 38.4. This has improved from 2006 where it was rated as second behind near neighbour, Roscommon for the oldest average population.
• Leitrim had the highest age dependency of any county at 57.3 per cent, closely followed by counties Donegal (56.9%), Mayo (55.9%) and Roscommon (55.9%).
• Leitrim had the highest overall vacancy rate with over 30 percent of homes vacant. Donegal was next with a vacancy rate of 29%. South Dublin had a vacancy rate of 5%, the lowest in the country.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.