A major security operation was put in place last Thursday, February 12th after what Gardai described as “a crude viable device” was found on the outskirts of Drumshanbo.
Gardai in Carrick-on-Shannon were alerted to the presence of a suspicious object which was partly concealed off the main road at Drumduff North townland, Drumshanbo. The device was a short distance in off the roadway in hedge growth.
Supt Kevin English, Carrick-on-Shannon Garda Station, told the Leitrim Observer that at approximately 2.30pm last Thursday, for precautionary reasons, the Gardai sealed off the area and a number of houses in close proximity were evacuated.
The road was closed to traffic for a number of hours and diversions were put in place.
The Defence Foces Bomb Disposal Team were requested and attended the scene. The device was made safe at the scene without the need for a controlled explosion. It was taken to a military facility for further testing.
According to Supt English, the Defence Forces later confirmed it to be “a viable crude igniferous device.”
The area in which the device was found was sealed off overnight for further searches to take place.
“We are currently investigating the origins of the device and its intended usage,” Supt English said.
He confirmed to the paper that the device was not connected to the Traveller fued sparked by the murder last week in Co Fermanagh.
Supt English is appealing for anyone who may have noticed persons or vehicles acting suspiciously in that area, either on the day in question or on the immediate preceding days to contact Carrick-on-Shannon Garda Station on 071-9620021.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.