Leitrim County Council has a €1m shortfall in funding to cover labour costs under the 2015 Road Works Programme.
At a recent meeting to discuss the Roads Programme with councillors, Council Management confirmed there was a ‘serious’ funding shortfall this year due to cutbacks.
At Monday’s Carrick Municipal District meeting, Cllr Enda Stenson asked if it would be feasible for the Council to employ short term staff to carry out works.
He was told the funding shortfall was the reason why the Council would not be able to employ any part time staff.
It was noted that previously Council members had supported a call for a meeting to be sought with the Department of Transport to secure additional monies.
Director of Service, Joseph Gilhooley noted the meeting had not yet been confirmed but said local Oireachtas members had assured the Council it would go ahead.
“The employment of short term staff is not on the horizon for 2015,” he acknowledged. “The priority this year is to pay (existing) staff.”
A statement issued by the Council stressed that approximately 30% of the Council’s road grant contributes towards wages costs. “The Council are currently looking at all options and will continue to exhaust all alternative sources of funding” in order to meet the funding shortfall.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.