Leitrim County Council will be commencing inspections of wastewater treatment systems and septic tanks in the coming weeks.
Householders will be contacted by Leitrim County Council in advance of an inspection being carried out.
Your septic tank accepts wastewater from toilets, showers, sinks, washing machines and dishwashers in your house. This means that your septic tank will contain bacteria, germs and chemicals as well as water and waste materials. As a householder with a septic tank you have responsibilities for its design, construction, operation and maintenance.
• Register your wastewater treatment system online at www.protectourwater.ie
• Pump out (de-sludge) and service your system regularly using a permitted contractor
• Keep a record of all service work and de-sludging
• Ensure all manhole covers are secure
• Prevent grease, excessive bleach and chemicals, food, disposable items and rainwater from entering your system
Information leaflets on Septic Tanks are available online at www.leitrimcoco.ie or by contacting Environment Department, Leitrim County Council Tel: 1890 205 205.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.