No date has been announced for the second Quinn rally which had to be postponed last Sunday, September 16 after the tragic death of a Lisnaskea employee at the Quinn Cement Factory.
The Rally for Justice in the name of the Quinn family and all victims of the Irish Banks by Concerned Irish Citizens was postponed last Friday, September 14 at short notice as a mark of respect to the late Brian Og Maguire who died tragically in an industrial accident at the Quinn Group’s prestressed concrete facility in Derrylin on September 13. The 24-year-old Fermanagh inter-county footballer featured in the Ernesiders’ Ulster SFC match against Down this season and captained the Lisnaskea Emmetts side which won the All-Ireland Intermediate Club Championship in 2011. The funeral and burial was held last Sunday at Holy Cross Church cemetery, Lisnaskea.
Patricia Gilheaney Secretary of Concerned Irish Citizens (CIC) said the group will meet this Thursday to discuss a future rally but she said choosing a date is “tricky.” The All Ireland football final is on this Sunday and one of the Quinn’s trial will be over by the following Sunday, but she said the rally will be rescheduled within weeks. Mrs Gilheaney from Ballinamore said they relied heavily on local media and social networking to inform everyone that the rally had been cancelled. Although the word spread quickly some people still arrived for the protest in Ballyconnell on Sunday. Patricia said the rumour that there would be bucket collections at the rally was “untrue” she said “nobody will be asked for money.” She stressed the protest event is “justice for everyone.”
CIC released a document this week which they had planned to distribute at the rally which states that the “former Anglo Irish Bank, now rebranded the IBRC, is involved in a cover-up designed to protect the bank from legitimate claims arising out of the fraud committed by its senior executives.” They say the effect of Anglo’s corrupt dealings “is having a catastrophic effect on the local community, with businesses and jobs being destroyed on a daily basis.” Concerned Irish Citizens are demanding an enquiry into how the Government allowed Anglo to appoint a Receiver to Quinn companies on foot of these illegal loans, before the debt was proven in Court.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.