Fire service personnel attended the scene within 20 minutes of being contacted but were unable to save the home outside Dromahair which burned to the ground on Friday morning last, March 1
A gofundme page established to help a Dromahair family whose home was burned to the ground on Friday morning last, March 1 has raised almost €2,500 in the days since it was established.
It is unclear how the fire started in the house belonging to Greum Na Hearadh and Niamh O'Brien with Niamh awoken in the early hours by the sound of the carbon monoxide alarm and the sight of flames.
Greum and Niamh were able to ensure the safety of their three children and their dogs before raising the alarm.
The fire service reached the property, located in a rural area in Bohey, Dromahair within 20 minutes of the alarm being raised.
A tanker with further water was required to assist with efforts battling the fire and when that emptied, the garden pond was then drained as attempts continued to quench the raging fire.
These efforts proved unsuccessful and the house was burned to the ground.
A message on the gofundme page explains why the fundraising effort was started saying: “Niamh and Greum lost everything, except each other and their beloved children and pets.
“Lives are irreplaceable and we're all so glad that they got out when they did and bar some bruises and deep cuts, they were unscathed. There is nothing left, no photos, no clothes, no furniture, no jewellery, no tools, no food, no toiletries, no toys, no school bags or lunch boxes or kitchenware or linens, nothing to make a cup of tea in or drink one out of, no mementos of times past or gifts from friends, no family heirlooms...no home.
“Friends and locals have rallied around to provide and donate basic essentials and they have somewhere to stay temporarily but they now find themselves with the daunting task of building a new house and breathing life into it for a new future while grieving the loss of their beautiful home.”
The online appeal to help Greum and Niamh can be found at www.gofundme.com.
Leitrim House fire. Please support this & RT. #Leitrim #Ireland @FrancisBoylan @OceanFmIreland @LeitrimToday @LeitrimTNetwork @RMcGreevy1301 @leonie_Cee @katherinelyncho @PaddyMcKenna @Rego101 @LeitrimGAA @ManorRangers @sligorovershttps://t.co/0oG8ColQto— Dervs (@creevylea) March 2, 2019
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.