Councillor Justin Warnock said he is not happy with the answer to his query about how many "real jobs were created in the
Manorhamilton Municipal Area in 2015 and how many of these were supported by the Local Enterprise Office(LEO)?"
The council told the Kinlough politician that 4 part time and 5 full time which is the equivalent of 7 new full time jobs
were created in the north Leitrim area during 2015 and supported by the LEO.
The council also said strategic infrastructural development was also carried out in the development of Manor Hub and FabLab. Other indirect jobs were either created or sustained through delivery of other services such as mentoring, training, business clinics and county initiatives that exist but cannot be directly quantified.
Other supported initiatives include:
• Outreach Office operates on the first Tuesday of the month in Manorhamilton
• All training courses delivered through LEO are available in a North Leitrim venue subject to numbers available
• 2015 Winner of Student Enterprise Awards Leitrim at both Senior and Intermediate levels were from St. Clare’s Secondary School, Manorhamilton
• Worked closely with Manorhamilton Enterprise Forum on the Enterprise Expo in May 2015
• Ireland’s Best Young Entrepreneur Competition – winner of Best New Idea was from Manorhamilton
• Delivery of the Taste Leitrim Food Initiative which includes 14 food outlets in North Leitrim.
All eligible applications received from North Leitrim for financial support to the LEO were awarded funding.
The council official stated that the Manorhamilton Area Department of Social Protection Live Register statistics shows a fall of over 10% between 2014 and 2015. Cllr Warnock was not convinced the drop in the Live Register was due to job creation. He concluded "All I see is houses being closed and emigration."
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.