Soccer Club news

Abbey Rovers

Abbey Rovers

Abbey Rovers U-10s took on Ardagh Utd in Ardagh last Saturday in a crucial game for both teams. A point would see Rovers qualify for the Longford Under 10s major league commencing in the new year and Ardagh had to win to join the same league.

In a game with lots at stake, both teams exchanged some aggressive tackles with Rovers captain Shane Smith in the thick of the action. In defence Rovers looked solid with another fine performance by Conor Edwards. In a first half of few chances, it was Rovers who came closest when both Callum Andrews and Nick Palmer hit the frame of the goal.

The second half was again very tense. Chances were few and far between. Daniel McLoughlin was unlucky on a couple of occasions not to go clean through on goal but was stopped by some determined Ardagh defending. Ardagh were restricted to one goalscoring opportunity but the effort was easily saved by Rovers keeper Seamus Wisley.

A big well done to our under 10s who remain unbeaten this season. Final score Ardagh Utd 0 Abbey Rovers 0

Carrick Town

U-12: Our U-12s claimed top spot in their league with a dramatic 4-3 away victory over Dromore Villa on Saturday last. Despite missing a number of regulars and falling behind 2-0, and 3-2 the lads dug deep and clinched victory with a last minute long range strike from ace striker Niall Gannon. Oisin Bohan, Cormac White and an earlier strike from Gannon were also on the scoresheet.

U-13: We were unlucky to lose 1-0 to a strong Strand Celtic side on Saturday morning last.

U-15: We played our second game in Phase Two of the League and came away with a hard fought 1-0 win over Calry Bohs in Calry on Saturday. Brian McElgunn scored the only goal with a fine run and shot which the keeper couldn’t hold. Calry fought back and were unlucky not to level as they hit the post and had a chance saved off the line by Cormac Smith with keeper Sean Cox also bringing off some fine saves. Central defenders Cormac O’Rourke and Daire Guckian played out of their socks to keep the lead for Carrick. Carrick took control of the game in the second half and a through ball from Cormac Smith resulted in Eoin Lyons lobbing the keeper only to see the ball come back off the crossbar. Carrick finished strongly but if Calry had taken their chances in the first half this might well have been a different game.

Seniors: The Senior team played Gurteen Celtic on Sunday last on the astroturf at Sligo IT. Carrick had not played in a few weeks and started slowly, wasting two good early openings before Gurteen scored on a quick break. This seemed to wake Carrick  up and they started to play some good football and scored twice before the break to leave halftime score 2-1. In the second half Carrick were completely dominant and added another 4 to leave the final score 6-1. Scorers today were Ray Mulvey 3, Steven Sirle 2 and Jonathan Cassidy. This result leaves Carrick in second position in the table after 11 games on 23 points and with 11 games left. If we can keep up the good form we will be in the shake up for promotion to the Super league.

Sympathy: The club would like to extend its sincere sympathy to Gerard Taylor, founder member of our club, on the death of his father Eamonn, Main Street, Carrick-on-Shannon. Eamonn was a loyal supporter of Carrick Town and was often there to supply the players with welcome refreshments during half time in our matches in the 70’s and 80’s. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dilis. Rest in peace Eamonn.

More News

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.