Search

26 May 2022

Caller said mortars set at Dublin Castle during Queen’s visit

 Caller said mortars set at Dublin Castle during Queen’s visit

A man who called Longford garda station during the state visit of the UK Queen five years ago threatened two mortars were set at Dublin Castle and that he was a member of the "Republican Brotherhood, Squad A", the Special Criminal Court has heard.
Donal Billings (65) of St Bridget’s Court, Drumlish, Co Longford is charged before the Special Criminal Court in Dublin with four offences under the Criminal Law Act of 1976 of knowingly making false reports tending to show that an offence had been committed.
The charges allege that he made a false report within the State on May 16, 2011, that bombs had been placed at Busáras in Dublin and at Sinn Féin's headquarters.
He is also charged with making a false report on May 18, 2011 that two mortars were set for Dublin Castle, and with making a false report on May 20, 2011 that two bombs had been placed in the toilets at Cork airport.
Additionally, he is charged with the unlawful possession of an explosive substance at Longford railway station car park on May 16, 2011.
Mr Billings has pleaded not guilty to each of the five charges.

See tomorrow's Leitrim Observer for full court report.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.