Pictured from left are Mick McDonnell, BBN, Sarah Walker, ACTM presenting the award to Cllr Finola Armstrong-McGuire, Cathaoirleach , LCC with Shane Tiernan, Acting Director of Services LCC
Carrick-on-Shannon has received renewal of its Purple Flag Accreditation following a recent audit of the town by ACTM the governing body.
The Purple Flag standard, launched in 2012, is an accreditation process that allows members of the public to quickly identify town & city centres that offer an entertaining, diverse, safe and enjoyable night out.
ATCM has set out the core agenda at the heart of Purple Flag which represents the standards that must be achieved and maintained for accreditation, which in turn will lead to a successful evening economy.
These five core standards required are:
· Policy that shows a clear strategy based on sound research, integrated public policy and a successful multi-sector partnership.
· Successful destinations are all safe and welcoming with all sectors playing their part in delivering high standards of customer care.
· Getting home safely after an evening out is crucial, as is the ability to move around the centre on foot with ease.
· Successful destinations offer a vibrant choice of leisure and entertainment for a diversity of ages, groups, lifestyles and cultures.
· Successful areas are alive during the day, as well as in the evening.
They contain a blend of overlapping activities that encourage people to mingle and enjoy the place.
They reinforce the character and identity of the area as well as flair and imagination in urban design for the night.
The award was presented to Carrick-on-Shannon at an event in Norwich, UK on 16th November last.
Special appreciation for effort and achievement of the award goes to Carrick-on-Shannon Chamber of Commerce and businesses, Leitrim County Council, Carrick on Shannon Gardai, the Tidy Towns Committee, Community Groups and citizens of Carrick-on-Shannon.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.