Smith's Monumentals Leitrim IFC Final

O'Rourke leads Fenagh to Intermediate Championship glory

Fenagh St Caillin's 3-12, Annaduff 0-13

Philip Rooney


Philip Rooney

O'Rourke leads Fenagh to Intermediate glory

Three second half goals were key for Fenagh St Caillin's as they saw off the challenge of Annaduff in this afternoon's Smith's Monumentals Leitrim Intermediate Championship Final replay.

In what was a much more entertaining contest than last week's drawn game, the Fenagh faithful were as grateful to goalkeeper Paul Gill for the heroics he produced as they were to goalscorers Ryan O'Rourke and Donal Wrynn.

Annaduff were the quickest out of the blocks with Kenny Cox pointing inside the opening 20 seconds while Fenagh saw two early efforts sail harmlessy wide.

Riordan O'Rourke struck for Fenagh's opening score five minutes into the contest from a free but Annaduff's response was impressive.

After Paul Gill denied Frank McNabola the ball broke to Alan Glancy to point and that score was followed by further points from Sean McNabola (free) and a fine individual effort from Eoin Gill.

With his team not hitting top gear Fenagh captain Ryan O'Rourke produced a moment of inspiration with a wonderful point from a wide position and he then converted another free to leave just a point between the sides.

Ronan McCormack hit back with an Annaduff point but Fenagh were to boss the closing stages of the half with their talisman Ryan O'Rourke hitting three points from play in as many minutes to give his side a 0-8 to 0-7 lead at the interval.

Both sides would have stressed the importance of making a positive start to the second half and it was Fenagh who did just that.

A Shane Doonan point within a minute of the restart was followed a minute later by the game's opening goal with Ryan O'Rourke finishing off an impressive move.

Annaduff regathered their composure impressively and replied with two Sean McNabola pointed pointed frees before Mark Keegan and Gavin O'Brien exchanged points.

Annaduff seemed to be growing in confidence despite trailing by three points when they were hit with a sucker punch as Ryan O'Rourke struck for his and Fenagh's second goal of the afternoon.

As would be expected there was no sign of Annaduff throwing in the towel and two further points from Sean McNabola (one free) gave their supporters hope that the game was not yet beyond them even though they trailed by four points with 12 minutes remaining.

Unfortunately for Annaduff the next score did effectively kill their hopes as Donal Wrynn struck for Fenagh's third goal with seven minutes left on the clock.

Sean McNabola, who performed brilliantly in both the drawn game and the replay, converted another free for Annaduff in response but there was to be no denying Fenagh who saw out the game with two late points from man of the match Ryan O'Rourke.

See Wednesday's Leitrim Obsever for further analysis, reaction and pictures from today's final.