An online map of publicly accessible defibrillators was launched in The Bush Hotel in Carrick-on-Shannon on March 14.
The map is available online at www.leitrimdefib.com and on the websites of Leitrim Public Participation Network and Leitrim Volunteering Information Service.
Members of Community Defibrillator Schemes and First Responder Groups from across Leitrim gathered with representatives of the National Ambulance Service and Leitrim’s Gardai and Fire Service to see how the map can be easily used to pinpoint the nearest Automated External Defibrillator (AED) in the case of an emergency.
A collaboration between Leitrim Volunteering Information Service, Leitrim PPN, Leitrim Development Company and South Leitrim Community Network, the map represents the first and most comprehensive mapping of public defibrillators anywhere in Ireland.
The need for this map was identified at a meeting of South Leitrim Community Network. Leitrim Public Participation Network has links across Leitrim’s community sector and was well-placed to look for the information needed.
Caillin Reynolds, of Leitrim Volunteering Information Service compiled the data and developed the map.
Working in close partnership with the National Ambulance Service (NAS), the project has now provided the NAS with a database of the locations and eircodes of many defibrillators in the county, so they can direct individuals to their nearest location in an emergency situation.
A demonstration from Caillin showed how easily the map can be used. Each defibrillator location has been mapped online via google maps and people can access information quickly via their smartphone, laptop or tablet.
The online map allows you to get directions to your nearest defibrillator quickly and easily. It contains vital information such as the address, the eircode, the location, and the times the defibrillator can be accessed.
Bernie Donoghue, Leitrim Development Company, acknowledged the great response from community groups, schools, GAA clubs and individuals throughout the county.
Supt Kevin English and Mark Callanane, Community Engagement Officer with the National Ambulance Service publicly congratulated Leitrim’s community and agencies on the achievement of this project. Both emphasised the fact that it could save lives and that the time to look your map and know your nearest AED is now, and not when there’s a problem.
Tracy Ferguson of Leitrim PPN alerted the groups to possible funding opportunities for existing and new schemes and acknowledged that the project is ongoing.
“We are aware there are gaps and we need the continued support of communities to get the right information. Tonight is a great starting point and we have more action to take.”
If you know the location of a public defibrillator in Leitrim please get in touch as soon as you can.
You can contact Cailin or Bernie at 07196 31715 or Tracy at 087 183 1253.
Alternatively, email LeitrimAED@gmail.com and save a life today!
Location and eircode of every defibrillator in Leitrim
- Kiltyclogher Community Centre, F91 FK52
- Gorby Apartments, Newtowngore N41 C430
- Golden Vale Mart, Carrigallen H12 WP65
- Ballinaglera GAA N41 AP97
- Aughawillan National School N41 EO82
- Aughawillan GAA N41 E446
- Newtownmanor Church F91 FE86
- Sean McCauley, Gortnalamph N41 WV12
- Tom Conboy, Rooskeynamona, Mohill N41 DD88
- Selina Shanley, Corriscoffey, Mohill N41 C2W1
- Tom Duignan, Cloonboney, Mohill N41 H704
- Stephen McDonagh, Cloonfinnan N41 RF79
- McHugh’s Cross, Clooneagh, Dromod N41 YP84
- Geraldine Moran, Aghnahunshin, Rooskey N41 E296
- McHugh’s, Cloonart N41 KX66
- Coote Geelan, Cloonageeher N41 VX65
- Foley’s, Drumard, Mohill N41 XH74
- Bornacoola GAA pitch, Clooncolry, Dromod N41 CC67
- Cloonturk Church, Dromod N41 PF82
- Bornacoola Community Centre N41 DP29
- Bornacoola Church, N41 E421
- St Clare's Primary School, Manorhamilton F91 NP08
- Pauric Lynch Paints, Kilclare N41 WY81
- Cardiff's Lounge, Drumcong N41 X8N6
- Keshcarrigan Garda Station N41 E5N9
- Aiden Bohan's house, Funshinagh CrossroadsN41 E433
- Kiltubrid GAA pitch N41 TV79
- Jackie Lee's shop, Aughacashel N41 DN20
- Annaduff GAA pitch N41 PC52
- Drumsna Resource Centre N41 D9P9
- Jamestown Church N41 FP82
- Gibbons Main Street N41 HR58
- Scollan's Gala, Drumshanbo N41 T9T2
- Shane McGettigan Park Carrickbawn, Drumshanbo N41 AC89
- Mayflower Community Centre, Drumshanbo N41 Y8P6
- Fenagh GAA Pitch, Corrabarrack N41 ET26
- Cornabrone, Carrick-on-Shannon N41 PT72
- Drumlaheen, Foxfield N41 T6H9
- Fenagh National School N41 TK60
- Drumharken, Ballinamore N41 KN82
- Glencar-Manorhamilton GAA, Bee Park Manorhamilton F91 KC90
- Cloone Community Centre N41 X0K2
- Keeldra Lake Amenity N41 PC64
- P Bohan's Shed, Adoon Road, Cloone N41 Y956
- Gortletteragh GAA Cornageeha Community Centre N41 RC78
- Fox's of Tooman N41 E3C1
- Fearglass Church N39 PX76
- Lough Rynn Castle, Mohill N41 WE16
- Crowe's Sawmill, Mohill N41 ET81
- Eslin Community Centre N41 VY57
- Gorvagh Community Hall N41 V504
- Mohill Enterprise Centre N41 Y4C0
- St Patrick's Church, Mohill N41 YR86
- Kieran's Totalhealth Pharmacy, Mohill N41 KH90
- Old Council Office (beside Fire Station) N41 D897
- Keegan's Cross Shed, Drumboy, Ballinamore Road, N41 V827
- Ballinamore Community Centre N41 K0D6
- Smith's Undertakers, Ballinamore N41 TD62
- McCormack’s Mace N41 V0A6 (filling station)
- Leitrim Gaels GAA Pitch N41 W271
- Beirne's of Battlebridge N41 XV90
- Aughavas GAA pitch, H12 AE26
- St Joseph's Church, Aughavas H12 TY29
- Aughavas Community Centre H12 XH95
- St Patrick's Church, Dromahair F91 V327
- Ballinagar Church F91 AW72
- Kilcoosey Old School F91 A327
- Drumkeerin Phone Box N41 R9F6
- St Michael's Church, Glenade F91 NP29
- Tullaghan Service Station F91 A03V
- Carrick Medical Centre, Carrick-on-Shannon N41 NX36
- The Bush Hotel, Carrick-on-Shannon N41 H5P1
- Leitrim County Council N41 PF67
- The Landmark Hotel N41 N9W4
- Tesco Retail Centre, Rosebank Shopping Centre, Carrick-on-Shannon N41 DX88
- Brendan and Breege Grimes's House H12 R6C3
- Carrigallen GAA H12 D427
- Carrigallen Hall H12 F4W0
- Drumlea Community Centre H12 NP48
- Glenfarne National School
- Rainbow Ballroom, Glenfarne F91 RK54
- Kinlough Community Centre F91 D402
- Gerry O'Connor's House, Derrycarne N41 KX02
- St Patrick's Church N41 KP68
- New Ballagh Centre, Rossinver F91H2HY
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.