Some of Aldi's award winning wines.
Proving you don't need to spend a fortune to buy an excellent quality wine, Aldi Ireland’s wine range has excelled once again, scooping 17 medals at the Decanter World Wine Awards, the world’s largest wine competition.
Judged by a panel of 270 top wine experts, including 59 Masters of Wine, this prestigious competition pits the very best wines from around the globe against each other in a series of rigorous blind taste tests.
Amongst the coveted Silver medal winners were four Aldi wines, including bottles made by some of the world’s leading winemakers. The Exquisite Collection Marsanne (€8.99) made by world renowned Jean Claude Mas, hails from the south of France and is characterised by its floral pear, dry-fruit and honey aromas.
Aldi’s Leaf Plucker Sauvignon Blanc (€9.99) also got the nod of approval and took home a Silver gong – a unique bottle originating from the vineyards home of legendary winemaker Thys Louw in New Zealand. This sumptuous Sauvignon has been fermented in French oak barrels, resulting in a wine of outstanding quality, with intense tropical and zesty citrus flavours and a subtle toasty roundness.
The supermarket’s range of Toro Loco Spanish wines also fared well in the competition, with its Toro Loco Rosé (€5.99) and Toro Loco Blanco (€5.99) being awarded Bronze medals, proving that great tasting bottles of wine needn’t cost the earth. Stocked in Aldi’s wine aisle for many years, the bestselling Toro Loco range has gone from strength to strength. Since January 2017, Aldi has sold over 36,000 bottles of its Toro Loco Blanco – showcasing its popularity with Aldi’s shoppers.
Aldi’s sparkling wine was recognised for its excellence, with its Veuve Monsigny Champagne Brut (€19.99) and on-trend Exquisite Collection Crémant du Jura (€11.99)both taking home a bronze medal.
Finbar McCarthy, Group Buying Director, Aldi Ireland, said: “We are committed to opening up the wonderful world of wine to all, and believe that everyone should be able to enjoy high quality bottles, whatever their budget. In order to achieve this our wine buyers travel the globe, working with some of the world’s top winemakers to ensure that we have a fantastic range on offer for our customers to enjoy. The Decanter World Wine Awards are highly regarded within the industry, so we’re immensely proud to see our great value range win so many accolades.”
Aldi’s Decanter World Wine Awards 2018
- Leaf Plucker Sauvignon Blanc (€9.99, 75cl) Core
- Exquisite Collection Muscadet Sevre et Maine sur Lie (€8.99, 75cl) Core
- Exquisite Collection Côtes de Provence Rosé (€8.99, 75cl) Seasonal
- Exquisite Collection Marsanne (€8.99, 75cl) Seasonal
- Veuve Monsigny Champagne Brut (€19.99, 75cl) Core
- Exquisite Collection Crémant du Jura (€11.99, 75cl) Core
- Exquisite Collection Rias Baixas Albariño (€9.99, 75cl) Seasonal
- Exquisite Collection Touraine Sauvignon (€7.99, 75cl) Core
- Toro Loco Rosé (€5.99, 75cl) Core
- Exquisite Collection New Zealand Pinot Noir (€9.79, 75cl) Core
- Domaine Ferrandière Réserve (€7.49, 75cl) Seasonal
- Domaine Ferrandière Merlot (€8.49, 75cl) Seasonal
- Exquisite Collection Clare Valley Riesling (€9.99, 75cl) Core
- Iron Horse Barossa Valley Shiraz (€9.99, 75cl) Ongoing Seasonal
- Grande Alberone Platinum Zinfandel (€9.99, 75cl) Seasonal
- Toro Loco Blanco (€5.99, 75cl) Seasonal
- Exquisite Collection Picpoul de Pinet (€7.99, 75cl) Seasonal
All the award winning wines are in store now at 131 Aldi stores nationwide. For more information see www.aldi.ie