Search

17 Feb 2026

Ukrainians living in almost 500 in Leitrim under the Accommodation Recognition Payment (ARP)

The scheme has been extended to March 31, 2026, and applies to hosting in personal homes or vacant properties. 

Ukrainian refugees are living in nearly 500 homes in Co Leitrim.

Picture from The Market Yard, Carrick-on-Shannon today as Ukrainians celebrated their Independence Day.

There are 500 Ukrainians living in Leitrim under the Accommodation Recognition Payment (ARP) scheme which is a tax-free, monthly payment of €600 to hosts providing accommodation to Ukrainians in Ireland under the EU Temporary Protection Directive. The scheme has been extended to March 31, 2026, and applies to hosting in personal homes or vacant properties.

Migration Minister Jim O'Callaghan revealed that 470 homes in Leitrim, 405 in Longford and 131 in Roscommon were availing of the scheme.

Drumshanbo councillor Enda McGloin told the Leitrim Observer said that there were many availing of the scheme in the town. "A lot of the residents of the hotel at the time went and sought properties to live in the area because they had been here over a year and had got employment locally so they wanted to continue living in Drumshanbo. They availed of the help and assistance of the McManus family in finding properties to rent and have settled here in houses under that scheme. Many of their children were attending schools at both secondary and primary level as well as obtaining employment locally at the local food hub and some of the local shops."

He continued: "They are working in the community and able to avail of that scheme in terms of the rental scheme. The scheme will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. It originally involved a payment of €800 and that was reduced to €600 and government will be monitoring the war and outcome of talks between Russia and Ukraine. If that was to change in the morning and there was some kind of permanent ceasefire or settlement than the scheme will be reviewed. As it stands at the moment, because of the ongoing turmoil and war, I would hope that scheme would continue while those people cannot go back to parts of Ukraine that are particularly under threat from Russian artillery."

He concluded: "Most of the people living here and working and getting sustainable employment and seem to be settling in."

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.