Darkness Into Light
With just a few days to go until Bundoran’s first Darkness Into Light event, organisers are putting the final touches to the plans and route for the walk which symbolises a message of hope for those suffering from mental health issues.
Chairperson of Bundoran Darkness Into Light Committee Taralouise McCaughey has been overwhelmed with the amount of support from the local community.
"Everyone who we have asked to help out in one way or another has done so without hesitation as they are all aware of what an important and symbolic event this is for Bundoran. People are registering to walk, to volunteer and to just provide help in general – all of which is very much appreciated by the committee. While there are too many to mention individually, please know that our heartfelt thanks is extended to you all," she said.
Ahead of the event, the committee are issuing the following advice to participants so that the event is a safe and enjoyable one for all:
· Obey the Stewards at the Starting point and along the route.
· Follow the signs and directional arrows to stay on the route.
· Use your torch or flashlight.
· The runners will start first.
· Please ensure that children remain with you at all times for their own safety. Give them a meeting place to come to should they get separated from you and make sure they have your phone number with them.
· Don’t drop litter. The Stewards will all have bags for rubbish so please give any litter to them.
· If you have a dog, please start at the back so that people do not trip over leashes. Make sure to keep your dog on a short lead and clean up after it please. Extendable leads are not permitted.
· If you aren’t feeling well or have an accident or can’t finish the walk, contact the nearest Steward.
· Toilet facilities are available inside Bundoran Community Centre and in the portaloos which will be outside the community centre and also at Supervalu.
· Water and refreshments will be available after the event.
· Parking is available at Station Road Car Park (Cinema/Supervalu) and Atlantic Way (behind the Grand Central, at Waterworld and Main Beach Car Park). Please follow directions from stewards.
· Where possible, please car pool with others to and from the event.
· Please assemble from 3.45am in the public space opposite the Grand Central/Community Centre. Please stay off the road until the walk commences.
· Please leave valuables at home.
· Remember we would love to see your videos and photos and may use them in our compilation video. Please do not send any material you are not happy for it to be published online. Videos and photos (in landscape format) may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Enjoy the walk. It’s for a wonderful cause!
For any last minute questions please message the Darkness Into Light Bundoran Facebook page and one of the team will get back to you.