29 May 2022

Cup heartbreak for Carrick U15s


Cup heartbreak for Carrick U15s

Lineout action from Carrick RFC's Connacht U15 Cup clash with Sligo

Carrick-on-Shannon’s long anticipated Connacht Cup tie against the recently crowned Connacht league champions Sligo RFC took place on Saturday morning at the Hamilton Park Grounds in the picturesque setting of Strandhill.

Carrick started the tie with huge intensity and dominated the early exchanges by putting huge pressure on the home side. Carrick’s defensive efforts were lead by captain Niall Stenson who yet again put in a huge display for his side.

On 15 minutes after a series of big carries by Bobby Hanrahan and Jayden Bosomtwe, Stenson broke through the Sligo rearguard to evade two tackles to score under the posts to the delight of the travelling support. Peter Moran added the extras to leave the visitors ahead by seven points.

Carrick continued to take the fight to their more illustrious opposition with all 15 Carrick men giving it their all for the Carrick cause.

On 23 minutes after sustained pressure from Carrick on the Sligo 22 metre line, tight head prop Jayden Bosomtwe, returning from injury in this game, picked a ball up from the base of a Carrick ruck to power over from ten metres with a number of Sligo defenders being brushed aside by the influential Ballinameen man, Moran converted.

Carrick were now moving the point of attack with great aplomb with outhalf Ben O’Connor using Tristan Hoey to great effect in midfield. As the half was coming to a conclusion Sligo scored with the last play to leave the score 14 to 5 at the interval.

Sligo made significant changes at the interval and began to dominate the early exchanges. The Carrick boys defended incredibly well with big performances from Eoghan Rynn, Tom Moolick and Callum O’Rourke leading the defensive charge.

Unfortunately for the Carrick men, Sligo scored on 44 minutes to leave the Carrick men ahead by four.

On 50 minutes Sligo’s scrum half Andrew Ryan realised Carrick had failed to protect their blindside and broke from the 22 metre line to score in the corner to give the Sligo men the lead for the first time by the smallest of margins.

Sligo converted a penalty on 55 minutes to extend their lead to four points leaving the Carrick men needing a try as the game entered the final stage.

Carrick were not done yet and pinned Sligo back inside their own 22 metre line. As Sligo attempted to clear their lines the versatile Bobby Hanrahan playing at wing forward blocked down the attempted clearance and gathered the loose ball and sprint over from ten yards to score in the corner to the delight of the visitors and their supporters.

Unfortunately joy was to turn to heartbreak with Sligo scoring with the final play of the game in the eighth minute of injury time to leave the final score 25 to 19.

Team: David Chen, Eoghan Rynn, Eoghan Connolly, Tristan Hoey, Cathal Enright, Ben O'Connor, Peter Moran, Andrew Deegan, Alan O’Beirne, Jayden Bosomtwe, Tom Moolick, Callum O’Rourke, Alistair Heusten, Bobby Hanrahan, Niall Stenson. Subs: Marco Fallon Alonso; Jack Moolick; Iarlaith Martin; Matthew French

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.